Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Buckranth Pancakes

I'm trying to get away from cooking with so much rice for a few reasons. I want to find out if I am sensitive to it as well as wheat, I've read recently about high cyanide levels in rice as it takes up residue from old insecticides, and I want to try cooking with other grains/psuedograins/ingredients. As such, last time I was at Jake's Gluten Free Market, I bought some different flours to try out. They also introduced me to one of their bread flour mixes that does not contain rice. I didn't buy any this time, but I probably will next time I am in. I purchased a bag of sorghum, a bag of amaranth, and a bag of buckwheat. Sorghum actually doesn't taste that much different than wheat, it's sweet and mild. Buckwheat and amaranth, though, have wildly different flavors. They are strong, and could possibly be described as tasting like weeds (at least, that's what I think amaranth taste like, buckwheat is equally strange). So, I thought, why not put the wierd tasting flours together? Thus I made Buckranth Pancakes.

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
2 eggs
about a Tbs honey
water to get it to a pancake consistency

The mixture makes about 16 palm sized pancakes. They brown up nicely and are delicious with butter and maple syrup. Without baking powder, they don't puff up a lot, but the eggs ensure they aren't too dense either.

My girls' first reaction: "This tastes like dirt!" Then they tried them with butter and syrup and actually moaned with pleasure! My funny girls!

No comments: