Monday, March 12, 2012

Gluten Free Bread

After much experimenting, this is the best gluten free bread I've enjoyed to date. First I make an all purpose bread mix which I store in a large container ready for use:

  • 5 cups rice flour
  • 4 cups sorghum flour
  • 3 cups starch (I use arrowroot, but you can use corn or potato)
  • 2 cups teff flour (I've been using brown teff, because it is easier to come by, but I prefer white)

Now for the bread:
  • 3 cups flour mixture (from above) or if you don't want to make up a huge mix, you can use:(1 cup rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, 3/4 cup starch, 1/4 cup teff flour)
  • 1 Tbs yeast
  • 1 Tbs xantham gum or guar gum
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
Mix the dry ingredients together, then add
  • 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbs oil (unrefined coconut oil is delicious!)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups hot water (melt the oil in the water if it is solid)
Mix everything thoroughly, it should be about the consistency of chocolate chip cookie dough. Spoon it out into a prepared bread pan (greased and floured). Let it rise until it fills the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing.

That's it. I hope you like it as much as I do!

No comments: