Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blueberry-Mint Ice Cream

I just got an ice cream maker and am experimenting with different types of "ice creams" (can you call it 'ice cream' if it doesn't contain cream?). My goal here is to create treats for the kids, giving them lots of whole fruits. My 6 year old daughter requested mint ice cream and I've been wanting to use blueberries, so I decided to combine the two. We mixed it up and threw in a handful of mini chocolate chips for the fun of it (though the consensus was that it was better without). All my girls and a neighbor who was visiting gave it rave reviews (the neighbor girl even asked for the recipe so her mom could make it!).

Blueberry-Mint Ice Cream

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
1 apple, cored & diced
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 mint leaves (or you could use a bit of mint extract)
1/4 cup apple juice concentrate

Soak the cashews in the water for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend well. Place in an ice cream maker (this is where I threw in a handful of chocolate chips) and freeze.

As an alternative you could put the mix in popsicle molds and freeze.

Update: I've found that the cashew base works better (ie: much creamier) if you do the following: Soak the cashews in the water overnight. Blend them together, then heat slowly on the stove, stirring constantly until the cashew cream thickens up to a thick sauce consistency. Cool it in the fridge before blending it with the other ingredients and freezing in the ice cream maker.

No comments: