Sunday, May 31, 2009

Simple Whole Wheat Tortillas

I was at a cooking class this week with some friends. There I was introduced to a product I had never before noticed in the grocery store. Uncooked flour tortillas. They can be purchased in the refrigerator section. At Walmart they are located near the cream cheese. Just in case you want to buy them. However, I don't think I will ever buy them again. I taught myself how to make them and it is soooo easy. So, I'm going to share my super simple recipe with you.

4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp oil

Mix everything together to make a ball of dough (adding more flour if necessary). Put a damp towel over the bowl and let it sit about half an hour. Then pinch a ball off about the size of a small dinner roll. Roll it out on a floured surface as thin as you can in a roundish shape. Invert a bowl over your rolled out dough about the size of your pan and cut around it with a table knife. Whallah! your first tortilla. Cook in your skillet to brown both sides on a low medium heat. Repeat with the rest of the dough. This recipe makes about 20 tortillas.

No comments: