Friday, March 13, 2009

Owl Pellets (AKA Peanut Butter Balls)

A few days ago I tried a recipe for "Butter Ball Cookies" from NatureMomsBlog. There are often many good ideas posted there. Because I can never leave well enough alone, I didn't make the cookies exactly as written. I was sure I could cut down on the sweetener. So, I mixed it all together with half the sweetener. The mixture was way too dry and wouldn't stick together at all. It was also still way too sweet for my taste. I tried adding more peanut butter, without good results. Also, I used peanut butter I had made myself, which is quite a lot drier than the generic PB off the shelf. Since it still wouldn't stick together, my girls enjoyed eating the crumbs with a spoon.

I decided I'd try it again, only making up a recipe from scratch. My recipe doesn't have near the amount of ingredients listed on NatureMom. I wanted it to be a lot more simple anyway. I dubbed my version Owl Pellets, because that's what they look like. My girls love them and so do I. If you use peanut butter with anything other than peanuts in the mix, you might have to increase the oatmeal to keep the mixture from being sticky.

Owl Pellets (AKA Peanut Butter Balls)

1 cup peanut butter
1 Tbs cocoa powder
2 Tbs honey
1 cup oatmeal

Combine the peanut butter, cocoa and honey. Mix in the oatmeal. If the mixture is sticky add more oatmeal 1/4 cup at a time. Roll into balls. Enjoy!
Place the leftovers in a covered container and keep in the refrigerator.

No comments: