Monday, October 27, 2008

Mushroom Lasagna

I wasn't going to be home in time to cook dinner today, so I decided to let dinner cook itself. I put ingredients in the breadmaker and set it for the time I expected to get home. Then I thought about what I could cook in my crockpot. I came up with lasagna. It turned out better than I expected, though I thought it could use some olives. Corwin said it needed "hamburger-like tvp crumbles." I was surprised the tofu flavor was completely overpowered by the sauce, and the texture was just right. I made it in the crockpot, but it can easily be made in the oven as well. So, adjusted for our tastes, here's the new recipe:

Mushroom Lasagna

8-9 lasagna noodles (regular lasagna noodles, uncooked)
1 can (26oz) spaghetti sauce
1 can tomato sauce
9 button mushrooms
1 lb firm tofu
1/2 can olives, sliced
6 oz fake hamburger crumbles

Crumble the tofu in a food processor. Mix hamburger crumbles,olives, and the sauces. Pour a little sauce in bottom of crockpot (or baking dish if using the oven). Layer noodles (you will probably have to do some creative noodle breaking for the crockpot), tofu, sauce and then sliced mushrooms (repeat as needed) As you lay the sauce down, seal the dry noodles with the sauce. You don't want any dry noodles to show. Cook in the crockpot on low for about 3 hours or bake in the oven at 375° for one hour.

My two year old helped me tear lettuce, and I diced up some green peppers and brocolli, so we had a green salad to accompany the lasagna and bread.

No comments: